March 31, 2013

Plans for the Future

So I am currently studying Communications and Rhetoric with a minor in Graphic Design back at school.  I really didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to do with this type of degree once I graduate. 

Since being at Disney, I have finally figured out what I want to do when I "grow up."  I am going to become an event planner and eventually make my way into wedding planning.  My dream job is to become a Disney wedding planner for their Fairytale Weddings. 

My area director and managers found out that this is what I have decided to do and they are helping me out.  My wonderful area director knows the manager of Sports Event Planning here at Disney and was able to set up a meeting for me to go and talk to him.  It was really great and extremely helpful to talk to someone in the field. 

We met for about a half an hour and he gave me many tips and pointers and answered all of my questions.  This manager used to be the manager for the USA Olympic Track Team and his wife is on the Olympic Event Planning Board.  It was so awesome to talk to him about how he has gotten to where he is today. 

I asked him if I was in a good program to be studying and it was really relieving to hear that based on schooling I would have more experience than he had.  He got a degree in advertising and then decided he didn't want to go into the real world yet so he went to law school and got a law degree.  He got out of school and didn't want to be a lawyer so he became an event planner.  This is one of those careers where any type of degree will work.  I was very happy to hear this.  I was worried that I wasn't studying the right things. 

He asked where I eventually want to go with event planning and so I told him weddings.  After I was finished explaining why, he told me that he could tell it is something I really want to do because I lit up while talking about it.  He told me to take that and run with it. 

He then gave me a list of more people I should contact to talk more about event planning as a whole since he only deals with the sports aspect of it.  I walked out of that meeting very excited and feeling as if a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders because I finally have a plan of what I want to do someday. 

A week later, I got to go to a seminar at the Wedding Pavilion at the Grand Floridian.  Here, I listened to a panel of Disney wedding planners, consultants, and interns talk about the different roles that are present in the Disney wedding industry.  They talked about the different types of weddings they offer here.  On top of that, they all individually talked about how they got to where they are today.  Some started out on the College Program just like me.  It is really nice to see and hear that many of the leaders of the company have started out in the same position that I am in right now. 

All of my dreams are still coming true.  And it is all because of my favorite place in the entire world.  Everyday continues to be a dream come true and I still cannot believe I am here, working for Disney.  I keep thinking I will wake up one of these days and this will have been all of a dream but until then I am going to continue to enjoy this magical world before I have to leave and go back to reality.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment