February 13, 2013

All About Training to be a Lifeguard at Disney

Okay so I am very, very sorry for not posting anything in a while.  I have been extremely busy with everything here at Disney.  I think I can finally say that I have gotten into my new routine though.

So in the past month, a lot has happened.  I left off at the beginning of the Ellis Lifeguard Training Class so I will start there.  This training was a total of three days for a total of 24 training hours.  On the first day, we learned many different rescues to perform when alone in the water.  These included the "Front Drive", "Rear Hug", "Duck Pluck", and then modified versions of these three.  We also learned CPR and all that for the adult and child.  Day two consisted of practicing more CPR and learning how to perform it on an infant.  We also practiced rescues using the backboard and trauma bag.  The trauma bag has an oxygen tank and an AED in it so we learned how to use those as well as when to use them.  Later in the afternoon we learned your basic first aid and then it was time to head home to study/practice.

The last day of training is a full day of testing.  We started out reviewing CPR.  After that we went right into our written multiple choice test.  This was made up of 60 questions.  I am proud to say I only got three wrong.  After the test we went into CPR test outs.  We were given a scenario by an instructor for each an adult, a child, and an infant.  We performed each accordingly.  This took up a little bit of time because there was 37 of us in this training class.  After CPR, we ate lunch.  Then we got back into our teams of three or four from the previous day so we could practice a little bit for our group test outs.  We practiced using the trauma bag and the backboard rescues. 

The way the group test outs work was that the pool was split in half so that two groups would go at a time.  The groups being tested were sent inside so the rest of the class could get ready.  The instructors picked a couple of "victims" and then everyone would get in the pool to be the "guests".  When the instructor gave the appropriate signal, the victim it corresponded with would begin his/her task.  This could have been anything from pretending to drown, being unconscious, or to having a spinal injury.  Everything was random, that way there was no predicting what scenario you would get.  My group got a surprised girl who was having a hard time staying above water and then the one I jumped in for, an unconscious child.  For this one, we had to get the victim out of the pool with a backboard and use the trauma bag.  Everything went well and we "saved" the child.  After all of the groups had finished we went inside to fill out paperwork and then that was that.  We became licensed lifeguards! WOO!!

I had one day off and then I was off to the "Spirit of the Islands" Orientation at Caribbean Beach Resort.  Here we learned about the resort, took a tour, and got our costumes.  The lifeguard costume is pretty generic but I like it.  We wear a red swim suit, red shorts, a white polo, and then black shoes, black sunglasses, and a red hat.  All of the Disney Lifeguards where the same costume so guest can easily identify us.  The costume also consists of a whistle and a hip-pack that we received on the first day of training with Ellis.

After Orientation, I had one day off and then it was time to begin my On-Site-Training.  This was three days of training at Caribbean Beach, where I learned the ropes of being a lifeguard at this resort.  My trainer was really awesome and we had a lot of fun throughout those three days.  On day one, we were there for the opening of the pool so we helped with that and I learned how it is all done.  We also practiced being on stand and joined in on the Dance Party that takes place on the pool deck every afternoon. 

On day two, I learned how the pool closes and what those procedures are.  I also practiced VAT testing, which is a type of training that continues randomly throughout your time as a lifeguard.  This is when a silhouette of a person is place somewhere in the pool and you have to spot it and treat it as if it were a real person.  If you spot a VAT, you have to blow one whistle, turn off the waterslide, and jump in to retrieve the silhouette.  This tests to make sure we are always watching our water.

Throughout the first two days, we walked around the resort and I became familiar with the area.  I learned all of the island names and which buildings correspond with what color.  On the third day, I had to test out again.  This one is known as KAPA.  I had to perform CPR, take a written test of multiple choice questions specific to the resort, and then be on each of the stands with one VAT dropped without me being aware of it.  I passed everything with flying colors and became the newest lifeguard of Caribbean Beach. 

I have now been there fully on my own for almost three weeks.  I absolutely love my co-workers, coordinators, and managers.  They are a very fun group of people to work with and make going to work very enjoyable.  I have been working about 30 hours a week so far but that will soon be increasing because the pool will be open more hours as we head into the peak season.  I have rescued two children so far and retrieved one VAT.  I have a lovely tanline on my feet from the gorgeous Crocs I wear everyday.  I'm even starting to get the polka dots on the tops of my feet from the little holes.

So far everything is good as a lifeguard.  If there are any specific questions that I did not answer about this role, feel free to ask me in a comment.  That's it for now.  Thanks for reading!!

40 comments:

  1. Hi, I've been hired to be a shallow water lifeguard at Disney and had a quick question about the lifeguard training. Do you have to do the swim test again during the training? Since I got hired for shallow water, I wanted to know if I'd have to do the deep water swim test again (swim 200 yards). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You will most likely only have to do the swim test once. For the shallow guard swim test you will only have to swim 50 yards. Deep water guards are the only ones that swim 200 yards. I hope this answers your questions and congrats on becoming a Disney Cast Member!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for all your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey , I ll arrive at Disney the tenth of june to be a lifeguard but never did that job before .

    When they say " tread water 2 mins with hands out of the water" does it mean eggbeater style like in waterpolo or just on our back , like if we were sleeping ?
    What kind of questions do they ask , i'd like to prepare it ,
    see ya soon !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! The treading water is egg beater style. As for questions go, I'm not sure what you mean? Everything on the written test given on the last day will be gone over throughout the 3 days of training. Ellis will also give you a workbook to study that will have all the answers needed for the test. You will be very well prepared by the trainers. I hope this helps and good luck with everything!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi I applied to be a Disney lifeguard and with all the tests. Do you get hired first and then do the tests or is it backwards ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get hired as a lifeguard before the training. When you get there, they will give you all the information needed for when your lifeguard training begins. It will be 3 days of training with Ellis trainers at Mickey's Retreat. If you do not pass the training then they will find a new role for you. The Ellis trainers are really great at preparing you for all situations and to pass the testout. I hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi - I am doing the Disney College program Spring 2014 as a lifeguard. Do they give you your work location when you arrive? Or after your testing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you check in for your program, you will receive a handbook. On the back of your handbook, a sticker will be placed on it saying where you will be working. So to answer your question, you will have your location the day you arrive, before training. :)

      Delete
  7. I just wanted to say good luck to all of you who are getting ready to become Disney Lifeguards, are applying to do so, or are waiting to hear back on your acceptance! It's a lot of work and responsibility but it is also a lot of fun. (plus you'll have some of the best work schedules out of your friends and roommates!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long did it take to hear back after passing the swim test?

      Delete
  8. Do you need to be certified to be a lifeguard at disney?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey :)
    I want to apply at Disney to be a lifeguard next year.
    So as I already figured from the comments before, I do not have to do a training before I get to diney right?

    But my question is, for how long do they hire lifegurads? Is it individual or is there a limit? So can I only apply to work there for 3 months or do they want their lifeguards to stay longer?

    Thanks
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied for this summer and it's only 3 months and I got the job!

      Delete
  10. Hi,
    I am arriving at Disney on the 13th of this month for the Spring and Summer college program. I am also 47 years old. What do you think they will have me testing out on? I was an EMT and AEMT in NYC for almost 20 years. How difficult is it to do the 200 yard swim?
    Thanks,
    Michelle Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey!!! I'm going to be a lifeguard this summer.

    I was wondering if I need to buy my own sunglasses and crocs or they will give me some ?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey i want to be a lifeguard at Disney world. I am currently certified American Red Cross lifeguard but was wondering if i should get the Ellis lifeguard training before applying
    thanks katalan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not matter if you have a lifeguard certification prior to Disney or not. Everyone is required to be certified through Disney regardless of current status. (I had never been a lifeguard before Disney)

      Delete
  13. Hi, I have been given the role as lifeguard for spring 2015 DCP. Did you get to choose to do shallow water or were you given the role?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was offered the role of lifeguard for the Spring too! I am really nervous about passing the test though!

      Delete
    2. They already assign you to shallow water or deep water before you arrive so you don't really have a choice.

      Delete
    3. Also, the swim test is not bad at all. There is no time limit on the swim test and you can wear goggles. As for the Ellis certification test out, they will prepare you for everything before hand. They even give you a little workbook/textbook that you can study out of for the written part. Not once did I ever feel unprepared for any situation that I cam across.

      Delete
  14. Hi... Hi, I've been hired to be a lifeguard at Disney this summer... after the program is over do they let you keep the uniform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are required to return your uniform after the program is over or they will take away your rehire status.

      Delete
  15. Hi,

    I was curious if they give you any training for the brick dive before you arrive or if you are expected to know how to do it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I applied (7 years lifeguard experience YMCA). Have my phone interview tomorrow.

    Is/has there been anyone that you know/worked with were did not live in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What if your Ellis certified do you have to do the training again?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post. I have bookmarked you to check your new stuff.

    Aed Colorado
    CPR class Florida

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do we get paid throughout all the training? And can we also pick up shifts in other areas?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there! Not sure if you'll answer this, but I sure hope you see it! I was curious to know if the water parks are shallow and the resorts are deep or I'd it the other way around? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's actually not separated by resort versus amusement parks, but by attractions. According to Ellis, a shadow guard can guard water up to 5 feet while deep guards can guard up to the deepest point you train in (most likely between 7-10 feet). So you could be a shallow guard at a resort, but only in areas where the water is 5 feet or shallower. A shallow guard can also guard the lazy river at the parks, but cannot guard at deep sections at wave pools. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Register for your Lifeguard Training Instructor Certification. Start your Lifeguard Instructor Course or Lifeguarding Instructor Certification Today. New Life-Guard Instructor Courses Starting Daily. Learn How to Become a Lifeguard Trainer.

    Thanks...!!
    Lifeguard Training Instructor

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. Lifeguard certification

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. Lifeguard certificate

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: indian visa application process

    ReplyDelete
  26. howdy, your websites are really good. I appreciate your work. Uuden-Seelannin arvioitu saapumisaika

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable.I appreciated your work.Very interesting to read.Lifeguard training

    ReplyDelete
  28. There are specific dissertation web-sites by way of the web to produce safe apparently documented inside your website. https://americanlifeguardassociation.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your ability to articulate complex ideas in a concise manner is admirableLifeguard Training

    ReplyDelete